I love breastfeeding my baby, I knew the moment I got pregnant I would commit to breastfeeding, That’s not to say there are no challenges with it though, my son is almost 6 months old and had been exclusively breastfed. I plan on doing it until he’s a year old then slowly weaning him off.
Here are a few interesting facts about breastfeeding –
- It makes your bond with your child stronger! Sometimes you’ll just stare into their face and hold their hand as they nurse, it’s almost like you two are connected still like even though the umbilical cord was cut the nutrients from your body are still keeping them healthy and alive.
- Lowers the risk of SIDS ( sudden infant death syndrome)
- It’s not just for feeding your baby, sometimes they breastfeed to calm down, use us as a human pacifier, or to simply sleep.
- Breastmilk has antibodies especially designed for Your individual baby, it gives them protection against illnesses of all types ( even covid!)
- Breastfeeding burns 500 calories a day on average!! ( though women who breastfeed tend to weigh more than those who don’t) that’s because there’s fat storage your body does specifically to breastfeed! But don’t worry, as soon as you stop, that final 10 pounds usually melts off.
- Breastfeeding is better so your baby doesn’t become a picky eater! There are diverse flavors in breastmilk, changing daily to whatever the mother eats, which helps the infant adapt to new flavors when it’s time to start food!
- MEDICALLY, only 1–5% of women can’t breastfeed, but many mothers don’t due to a lack of resources, and encouragement. People will be quick to offer formula, but they won’t be quick to encourage the ongoing breastfeeding journey. ( I was personally told by my family to have one case of formula just in case, but I told them no matter what I’m breastfeeding, and I take pride in the fact my son will never have formula!!
- Staying hydrated, eating a healthy balanced diet, and pumping regularly keeps your milk supply high!
- Fed is best!!! Of course, but if you are capable of breastfeeding, do it!!!
Since so many people has a problem with my first photo here’s a few more!
Here’s my Broly with a breastmilk pop!